Tips To Keep Your New Year’s Resolution to Get in Shape
January is almost over. This means different things to different people. Some of us are beginning to plan a Super Bowl party, some of us are starting to make Valentine’s Day dinner reservations, and, unfortunately, for some of us, the desire to keep our New Year’s Resolution is fading. The monthly gym membership is almost up, those brand new sneakers have lost their shine, and, for the most part, we just simply do not want to go to the gym anymore. So how do we stop last year from repeating itself and keep our resolution to stay in shape?
1) Set realistic goals for yourself. If you’ve had trouble keeping your resolution in the past, try going to the gym once or twice a week at first. Once you get used to that, gradually increase your workout goal. Don’t take on too much, or you are more likely to give up.
2) Create a workout group with your friends. Make a plan to meet at the gym at specific times, without touching base beforehand. This way, you can share the responsibility of making sure you stick to your plan with others.
3) Make going to the gym part of your routine. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, head to the gym at the same time. The more engrained working out is in your schedule, the more likely you are to go.
4) Try alternate work out plans like Gym-Pact, which puts you financially responsible for your health. Participants pay a lower than normal membership fee, but are subject to a $25 fine if they do not work out at least 4 times a week.
5) Most importantly, keep it fun! Working out does not have to be a daunting task that hangs over your head all week! Try new equipment, make funky playlists on your iPod, or watch your favorite television show while on the treadmill. For activity outside of the gym, check out our facebook for upcoming Knuckle Bones events!